Month: September 2013
Google, which is celebrating 15 years this week, has grown to become a dominant force in the web. Search, Android, Google Adwords, Adsense, Maps & others are some of the important areas of Google. The chart below shows the market share of Google in some of its areas.
You will find more statistics at Statista
Google has overhauled its search algorithm to answer complex & longer queries from web users. Amit Singhal, senior vice president of search, announced on Thursday that Google launched updated algorithm “Hummingbird” about a month ago & it currently affects 90 percent of worldwide searches via Google.
Google used to match keywords with the web sites to provide results & as the search is getting complex over the years, this new algorithm would be able to handle complex queries. With the exponential growth of web across desktop, mobile, smartphone, tablets & others, search is evolving rapidly. This week marks the 15th anniversary of Google. Larry Page and Sergey Brin set up shop in the garage of Susan Wojcicki in September 1998 & Susan Wojcicki is now a senior Google Executive.
Google is trying to keep pace with the rapid growth of internet. Google previously had made Caffeine, Panda, Penguin & other updates. But the “Hummingbird” update is a very important algorithm change & this has been done after a very long time.
Onion prices have been skyrocketing in the last few weeks & the deal on Groupon India has created a big brand visibility for the offers website. Groupon was selling onions at a price of 9 rupees per kilogram, which resulted in big traffic for the website & there by crashing the servers. Groupon sold more than 3000 kg in 44 mins. There was a restriction of 1 kg order. Onion are used in many meals in India. Onions’s have not been priced at 9 rs since the days of 1999.
Groupon India’s unique marketing initiative of 9 a kg to the first 3,000 bidders every day for seven days from Sep 5 has gone viral on SOcial Media & there was a 400% jump in Google searches for Groupon India. Delhi Wholesale Onion dealer was roped in by Groupon India to supply Onion & 9 courier companies were involved in the transport. More than 22 tons of Onion was sold in 7 days. Indian, International & TV coverage with Wide social media coverage.
Adobe has released a study titled “Digital Distress: What Keeps Marketers Up at Night?” which reveals how marketers are feeling about Digital. The survey covered 1000 US marketers with a 95% confidence level & margin of error is +/- 3.1% for the sample. Some of the findings of the survey are
1) 76% of marketers think marketing has changed more in the past two years than the past 50 years.
2) Only 44% say marketing dept. have a great deal of influence over their Company’s overall business strategy
3) Only 40% think their company’s marketing is effective
4) Just one in three marketers think their companies are highly proficient in digital marketing
5) 61% of all marketers think that digital marketing approaches are a constant cycle of trial & error
6) 66% of all marketers state companies won’t succeed unless they have a digital marketing approach.
7) Cross channel marketing is a stronger driver of success among digital marketers
Research firm Juxt has released the India Mobile Landscape 2013 study. India has become a top market for mobile phones in the world. With millions of mobile subscribers & rapidly increasing mobile internet, India provides a great opportunity for marketers. This study helps understand mobile users & mobile usage in India. According to the study,
1) India has 554.8 million mobile users and 143.2 million unique Internet users.
2) Mobile Penetration in Urban India is 70% & rural India is 36%.
3) 23.8 million users use Internet on their mobile devices
4) 7.1 million (or 77%) of these users who access Internet exclusively through mobile data connections are in rural areas.
5) 143.2 Million Internet users in India
6) There are 773.9 million live SIMs in India. Juxt defines a live SIM as any SIM which has validity irrespective of whether it is being used actively or not.
7) Students(33%) & housewives (22%) account for bulk of (55%) total mobile users.
8) 64% of mobile users are male.
9) 95% of all active connections are prepaid.
Lily Collins, Avril Lavigne, Sandra Bullock, Kathy Griffin & others – 2013′s Most Dangerous Online Celebrities
Lily Collins has become the most dangerous celebrity to search online as per the McAfee’s 7th annual study. She has replaced Emma Watson for the top spot in this year’s study. Nine of the top ten are women in the list. Avril Lavigne & Sandra Bullock are in the 2nd & 3rd spot. Jon Hamm is the only male in the top 10 list. Cyber criminals take advantage of new movies, TV shows, Celebrity cultural trends & other current events to lure public to these sites laden with malware to steal information.
Some of the terms related to Lily Collins like “Lily Collins and free downloads,” “Lily Collins and nude pictures,” & others have a higher chance of landing on malware infected sites to steal personal information. The research has found that searching for the latest Lily Collins pictures and downloads yields more than a 14.5% chance of landing on a website infected with spyware, malware & others. This study has used McAfee SiteAdvisor site ratings. Emma Watson, Jessica Biel, and Megan Fox have all dropped from this year’s list.
Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation(IRCTC), the ticketing arm of Indian Railways, has launched IRCTC shopping at the URL shop.irctc.co.in. This has been launched in partnership with Yebhi.com. The user interface of the portal is similar to Yebhi’s e commerce website with IRCTC brand logo on the top left corner. IRCTC has millions of registered users & this shopping site would provide a huge revenue for the company. Deals of the day is also provided at the top right corner of the site.
Some of the categories on the site include Men, Women, Kids, electronics & others. standard payment options of Credit card, Dedit card, net-banking, EMI option and Cash-on-delivery (COD) is available & has been listed on the site. Aramex, Fedex, Bluedart & EMS are some of the shipping partners. The products on offer are apparel, shoes, accessories, mobiles, tablets, electronic goods & others.