At the Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, IBM CEO announced about the IBM Watson Mobile Developer Challenge. You can submit the proposal at the IBM Watson Mobile Developer Challenge webpage. Developers submit their proposals & their plans for a new Watson powered mobile app. It will be judged by a panel of judges & 25 finalists receive access to Watson APIs to build working prototypes.From this, top 5 finalists will pitch their concepts in a live session. 3 winners will have IBM mentoring support and sandbox access to build the Watson powered app. Watson won Jeopardy in 2011 & mobile apps can take advantage of Watson’s cognitive computing capabilities to develop smarter apps.
In case of users searching for beauty products online, many start their journey undecided on brands. Makeup, Skincare, Fragrance, hair care & others are some of the products users are looking for. Beauty shoppers take action after watching beauty videos on youtube & other leading video properties. Some of the findings from the Google study are
1) 58% buy to replace a product they ran out of, 36% buy to take advantage of promotion, 27% buy to try a new product.
2) Price, Quality & brand are most influential to beauty purchase decisions
3) Almost half of beauty shoppers don’t know which brand they will buy when they start shopping.
4) Beauty shoppers rely on paid search ads while they research
5) Free shipping, speed and convenience move beauty shoppers to buy online
Google commissioned Ipsos, an independent market research company, to find out how Click to Call in Organic & Paid Mobile Search Results Influence Purchase Decision. 1500 Mobile searches who made the purchase were used to understand the process. Some of the key findings from the study are
1) A 3rd of mobile searchers need to directly call a business from the search results.
2) Adding a phone number to mobile search ads results in an avg CTR increase of 8%
3) 52% of Mobile searchers find the call button useful
4) 72% of clicks on a mobile search ad call button lasts longer than 30 seconds.
5) on Average 40 million calls are driven by Google ads each month
6) Lack of call button can damage consumer’s perception of business.
Access the Study at Google Think Insights
Nandan Nilekani has been using social Media very effectively to connect with the public. The profiles on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & LinkedIn are all verified showing that they are the official channels & thus increase the confidence of the users. Images are used effectively on twitter & facebook & this helps in more share/amplification/engagement. Facebook has 277K likes & 59.1 K followers on twitter. The official website is also very well designed showing Facebook/twitter feeds.
One can also signup by email to receive updates/newsletter.Social Media profiles are highlighted in the top of the website home page which increases engagement. YouTube has 516 subscribers & thousands of views for the website.
As the Android OS phones are more in number, a Mobile app can also be released to provide updates & push notification. One or two Image based networks like Pinterest/Tumblr/Instagram can also be used as images increase the sharing & also provides for more conversation. Using an official hashtag would also help increase the visibility.
With Social Media becoming a part of Brand’s Marketing activities, there are many challenges while executing the social media activities. Some of it are How to increase the shares of my posts, Time of posting, How to increase follower counts, Increase the amplification/reach/engagement & others. You can measure the social media effectivenesses of your campaigns using analytic tools. Google Analytics, Klout & others are some of the free tools available to measure the metrics. Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linkedin, Youtube, Pinterest & others are some of the top social media networks to use in your marketing activities.
Viral Video of GoPro: Red Bull Stratos – The Full Story.
The chart below shows how facebook’s Whatsapp acquisition stands compared to other high profile tech acquisition. Facebook’s deal is the biggest one in the recent times followed by Google’s Motorola Deal. Social media space is seeing a lot of acquisitions. Facebook also bought Instagram for $1 Billion & is growing at a very good pace. Google has done many acquisitions recently in the Robotics, Internet of things & other areas.
Whatsapp handles more than 50 billion messages a day, 500 million images & has 450 million users. It has a very good market share of mobile messaging app in countries like India, Brazil & others.
You will find more statistics at Statista
Facebook will acquire popular mobile messaging app, Whatspp, for a total of around $16 billion, including $4 billion in cash and $12 billion worth of Facebook shares. There is also an additional $3 billion in restricted stock units to be granted to WhatsApp’s founders and employees. Official News from WhatsApp & Facebook. Some of the gains for Facebook will be
1) Over 450 million people using Whatsapp each month, with 70% of them active on a day. Facebook will have access to these millions of users outside of its huge market of US. Whatsapp is highly popular in India, brazil & other Asian countries where FB’s messaging app is yet to make huge inroads.
2) Messaging volume approaching the entire global telecom SMS volume. Millions of Images are handled by Whatspp which is way less when compared to other mobile apps & also Facebook. It is for the same reason of Images, Facebook purchased Instagram
3) Facebook’s idea of becoming a mobile company fits with the Whatsapp’s mobile messaging app. The deal will help Facebook get millions of users at a very reasonable investment & also to have a global reach.
Brand Finance has released the Brand Finance Global 500 which provides the most powerful & most valuable brands globally. Ferrari is the world’s most powerful brand. Employee satisfaction, brand finance, loyalty, visual identity & online presence makes it the world’s most powerful brand. Ferrari is one of only 11 brands (including Google, Hermès, Coca-Cola, Disney, Rolex and F1 racing rivals Red Bull) to be awarded an AAA+ brand rating and has the highest overall score.
Apple is the world’s most valuable brand for the 3rd year in a row. Samsung’s brand value has increased from US$20 billion to US$79 billion this year. Facebook has added 76% to its brand value this year & making it to 122nd position. US brands dominate the Brand Finance’s list, with 185 brands of the 500 spots occupied by it.
TRAI has released the latest figures for wireless & Wireline subscribers in India for year ending 2013 Dec 31st. Total of 886.30 million mobile subscribers with 28.89 wireline subscribers. There is a monthly growth of 0.59% in Mobile. Share of Urban subscribers is 59.42% & Rural is 40.58%. Total Broadband (> 512 Kbps) subscription is 55.20 million at the end of Dec, 2013. Total phone subscribers is 915.19 million at the end of December 2013.
Mobile Number Portability requests increased from 106.87 million subscribers at the end of Nov, 2013 to 109.37 million at the end of Dec, 2013. The overall Teledensity in India stands at 74.02% for Dec, 2013. Private operators hold 88.73% of the mobile subscriber market share where as BSNL and MTNL, the two PSU operators hold only 11.27% market share.