90% of people move between devices to complete a goal on PC, Mobile, Smartphone & others. 86% of people use their smartphone while consuming other media. 75% of customers prefer a mobile friendly site. Sites that work across multiple devices are more enjoyable & successful as well.
These are the main parameters to keep customers happy:
paths to purchase and
The 3 main ways of delivering them are
Responsive web design
Source: Google Think Insights
Responsive web design
In case of users searching for beauty products online, many start their journey undecided on brands. Makeup, Skincare, Fragrance, hair care & others are some of the products users are looking for. Beauty shoppers take action after watching beauty videos on youtube & other leading video properties. Some of the findings from the Google study are
1) 58% buy to replace a product they ran out of, 36% buy to take advantage of promotion, 27% buy to try a new product.
2) Price, Quality & brand are most influential to beauty purchase decisions
3) Almost half of beauty shoppers don’t know which brand they will buy when they start shopping.
4) Beauty shoppers rely on paid search ads while they research
5) Free shipping, speed and convenience move beauty shoppers to buy online
Digital Behaviors of Beauty Shoppers
Google commissioned Ipsos, an independent market research company, to find out how Click to Call in Organic & Paid Mobile Search Results Influence Purchase Decision. 1500 Mobile searches who made the purchase were used to understand the process. Some of the key findings from the study are
1) A 3rd of mobile searchers need to directly call a business from the search results.
2) Adding a phone number to mobile search ads results in an avg CTR increase of 8%
3) 52% of Mobile searchers find the call button useful
4) 72% of clicks on a mobile search ad call button lasts longer than 30 seconds.
5) on Average 40 million calls are driven by Google ads each month
6) Lack of call button can damage consumer’s perception of business.
Access the Study at Google Think Insights
Google Click to Call
If the Infinite scroll is not implemented in search engine friendly way, crawlers find it difficult to crawl & index. Then the content will not surface in search results. Google Webmaster Central has a great article on how to implement the Infinite Scroll in a search engine friendly way.
1) The webpage or the CMS used should produce a paginated series to go along with the infinite scroll.
2) All the individual items are accessible. However, with the normal infinite scroll, crawler can’t discover individual items displayed after the initial page load.
3) Decide how much content to have in each page.
4) The content should be so divided that there is no overlap.
5) Each component page contains a full URL.
6) Use rel=next and rel=prev values in the section to configure pagination.
7) Implement replaceState/pushState on the infinite scroll page.
Infinite Scroll – Google Webmaster Central
Rapid increase in mobile browsing & search has led to better design of mobile sites & faster loading times. Mobile websites should be built properly to drive more traffic from search & provide better customer experience. Some of the check list from Google webmaster central to improve mobile websites are
1) Optimize mobile persona workflows for your site.
2) Build for mobile behaviour & also provide for social sharing.
3) Remove cumbersome extra windows from all mobile user-agents & remove features that require plugins or videos which may not be found in the users device.
4) High traffic & poor user experience mobile pages should be designed properly.
5) Tablet users be served with the desktop version or if available, the tablet version.
6) Optimize crawling, Indexing & search experience. Unblock resources that are robots.txt disallowed. Implement search engine best practices.
7) Have a seperate mobile site & include CSS @media query.
8) Search integration with mobile apps.
Bing has released the top search trends for US in 2013. Beyoncé Knowles is the top searched person for 2013 followed by Kim Kardashian. Only 2 men are in the top 10 list, Justin Bieber (6th) and Barack Obama (10th). The list shows the top searches for 2013 & 2012. There are four newcomers to the top 10 in this year’s list, with Amanda Bynes coming in at #8, Madonna at #5 along with President Barack Obama at #10. Tim Tebow was the most searched athlete for 2013. Tebow moved up from #3 in 2012. Maria Sharapova, Kevin Ware & Tiger Woods are some of the other sports people.
Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter & linkedin are some of the top social media sites searched in 2013. Among the apps are Candy Crush stole the #1 spot, Angry Birds #2 and Bad Piggies #3. Xbox is the most searched entertainment electronic with iPhone #2 and Android #3 position.
Top Bing Searches for 2013
Google has overhauled its search algorithm to answer complex & longer queries from web users. Amit Singhal, senior vice president of search, announced on Thursday that Google launched updated algorithm “Hummingbird” about a month ago & it currently affects 90 percent of worldwide searches via Google.
Google used to match keywords with the web sites to provide results & as the search is getting complex over the years, this new algorithm would be able to handle complex queries. With the exponential growth of web across desktop, mobile, smartphone, tablets & others, search is evolving rapidly. This week marks the 15th anniversary of Google. Larry Page and Sergey Brin set up shop in the garage of Susan Wojcicki in September 1998 & Susan Wojcicki is now a senior Google Executive.
Google is trying to keep pace with the rapid growth of internet. Google previously had made Caffeine, Panda, Penguin & other updates. But the “Hummingbird” update is a very important algorithm change & this has been done after a very long time.
Google Webmaster Central Blog has come out with a list of measures which can be used to make smartphone sites load faster. Today’s avreage mobile page takes more than 7 seconds to load. Google has announced new guidelines to help webmasters optimize their mobile pages for best rendering performance & also updated Pagespeed Insights tool. These guidelines focus on rendering above the fold content to users in one second or less while the rest of the page continues to load. The above-the-fold HTML, CSS, and JS is known as the critical rendering path.
Following are some of the best practices & guidelines which can be applied.
1) Server must render the response (< 200 ms)
2) Number of redirects should be minimized
3) Number of roundtrips to first render should be minimized
5) Reserve time for browser layout and rendering (200 ms)
More about this can be had at Google’s mobile-specific help pages.
Overall Ranking factors are
1) Place Page Signals
2) External Loc. Signals
3) On Page Signals
4) Link Signals
5) Review signals
6) Social Signals
7) Mobile Signals
Some of the top foundational ranking factors are – Proper category association, physical address in city, Structured Citations, Domain Authority of Website, Proximity of Address to Centroid & others.
Some of the Competitive Difference Makers are – Quality/Authority of Inbound Links to Domain, Overall Velocity of Reviews, Click-Through Rate from Search Results, Location Keywords in Reviews & others.
Check out results of Moz’s 2013 local search ranking factors survey.
Google has launched free website satisfaction surveys for website owners. This is a free & easy way to collect feedback from website visitors. A snippet of code in the HTML has to be included in the website. This will load a discreet satisfaction survey in the lower right hand corner of the site. Google analyses the responses & provides the report.
Survey will run for 50 responses & will start again after 30 days. This is currently available in US for non mobile devices. The default questions are free & can be customized for $5 for 500 responses. The step involves
1) Log into the Google consumer survey website
2) You can do various settings & apply filters
3) Update the settings & paste the HTML code