The number of Internet users in India has reached 205 million in October this year with a 40% YOY growth. Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB International have released I-Cube 2013 report on the Internet users in India. China currently has 300 million internet users while US comes at 2nd with 207 Million users. It is also expected that by June 2014 Internet users in India will be 243 million becoming the top 2nd country in the world.
This huge user base will help develop & grow the internet economy. Online shopping has become popular in India with a large number of shopping portals. 137 million urban users & 68 million rural users. With 110 million mobile internet users in October, and is estimated to reach 130 million by the end of December. More than 50% of urban internet users access internet daily & the demography includes youth, working men, older men & non-working women. Urban centers like Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Chennai & other metros have a huge internet user base.
Google has released a study titled “Women and Web Study” which helps understand internet usage patterns & purchase decision making of women internet users in India. The study took into account the search query data for top women oriented search categories in India. online research was done by TNS Australia. Some of the findings of the study are
1) 60 Million Women are online in India
2) Accessing Internet through Home computer, office, Smartphones, tablets & Cyber Cafes
3) Online Women are more affluent & younger
4) 75% are in the 15-34 age group, with over 24 million women accessing the Internet daily.
5) Search Categories on Google in India are: apparel & Accessories is the biggest search category followed by food & drink, baby care, hair care & skin care.
6) Internet research influenced their decision-making process. Internet influence was the highest for skin care at 72%, baby care at 69% and hair care at 65%.
7) Email, search and social networking are the biggest drivers for women.
8) Women account for 40% of the total monthly YouTube user base in India.
With the booming of online shopping in India, eBay India has launched integrated brand campaign aimed at giving a push up to the Ebay India brand in the Indian online shopping space. Several new comers in the field like Flipkart, Jabong, Snapdeal & others have been runnings TVC for quite some time. TVC’s show people wanting to purchase a product & is being told by another about the great deals on Ebay India. Want it, Get it is the theme of the promotion. Ebay is one of the oldest entrants in Indian online shopping space.
Indian online shopping market has been growing rapidly & they are making great strides in tier-2 & tier-3 cities. Online shopping offers the convenience of variety, price & easy shopping. With different kinds of financing options, online shopping is becoming a big industry.
Forget blocking of youtube, facebook, twitter & other sites. For the first time in the internet history, Egypt has blocked access to internet except for the Egyptian stock exchange website which is still accessible. Tunisian style inspired revolution has been feared in Egypt & social networking sites help spread the information easily. Fearing it, Egypt seems to have blocked access to all the sites. SMS has also been blocked. This is for the first time it has happened in the world & shows the impact of internet on the economy & the society. Several important lines pass through Egypt & might also affect the global internet traffic.