With an increase in global web traffic from mobile devices & also studies showing that mobile visitors are more likely to revisit mobile-friendly sites, mobile usability has now become an imp part of search results. Mobile usability report helps identify issuses affecting your pages. This can be used to fix errors & also their search performance & relevance. Most mobile browsers do not render Flash-based content. Also your pages should specify a viewport using the meta viewport tag
For the mobile friendly websites,
1) The viewing area should adjust to the device screen size
2) Content should flow in viewport
3) Scaling of the fonts
4) Buttons should be well placed & visible
5) Using mobile friendly tech for the mobile website
Six primary mobile usability errors are
1) Flash Usage
2) View Port Not configured
3) Fixed-width viewport
4) Content not sized to viewport
5) Small font size
6) Touch elements too close
WAZA, World Association for Zoos and Aquarium, has developed a set of tools which would engage zoo visitors in actions supporting biodiversity. One of the tools is a mobile app with games, quiz, actions & others. There are links in the app as well which can be shared on social media profiles. 400 Different animal species are found around the world & 40 of which are found in the Mysore zoo.
Images of animals are also included in the tool & users can also take pics & share on the social media. The app has been developed for ios/android & help users with conserving biodiversity. Mysuru Zoo, is a member of WAZA and helping on ‘Biodiversity is us’ in association with Zoo Outreach Organization, Coimbatore.
Some of the highlights of the Cleartrip’s Q2’14 mobile Highlights are
1) 67% increase in mobile searches. with 43% of the total traffic share is for mobile & 30% of overall transactions on mobile
2) Device breakup – Tablet 8% & mobile 92% in Q2
3) Android driving 39% of the traffic while iOS 15%
4) Amongst the browsers, Chrome, android browser & Safari top the list
5) iOS 7 was the most used iOS version in Q2’14. iOS8 is also catching up with 44% share
6) Mobile played a key role in this increase of conversion.
Indian Railways has launched their official android App on Google Play Store called IRCTC Connect. Users can use their existing login details to login & book tickets, cancel tickets, search & other activities on the app. This is a good move by the Railways as a large number of people have android smartphones & wiil increase the usage of the app. Earlier it was available for Blackberry app store. Going by the screenshots of the app, a right combination of color, navigation has been used in the app.