An earthquake measuring 7.9 has hit Kathmandu & other regions in Nepal & neighboring India. Thousands have been killed in Nepal & people have taken to social media for prayers & messages. Google has setup a 2015 Nepal Earthquake Person finder & Facebook has set up a safety check feature that allows people in Nepal to inform their friends if they are safe. Ministers & officials involved in the disaster team have also been sending messages on twitter, facebook & responding to people’s messages. However, some of the brands also utilized the earthquake to shamelessly promote their brands with messages. This has been criticized by social media & brands later on apologized for the goof up.
The data by social media research firm, Simplify360, has been collected from over 57 eCommerce firms in India. Some of the factors taken into considerations are organic mentions, inorganic mentions, fan size & others.
Top 5 eCommerce website on Social Media is Flipkart, Snapdeal, eBay, Myntra & Jabong. Yepme is the leader on Facebook with 59,08,797 fans, top 3 players have 51% of voice share, Snap deal high on engagement.
Top 10 Most Mentioned Brands on Twitter in Q4 2014 – Some of the brands mentioned are facebook, Disney, Google, starbucks & others
You will find more statistics at Statista
Simply Measured has a blog post on the Social Media stats for 2014 Fifa World Cup. The world cup has created a sort of records in terms of shares, interactions, engagement & amplification for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & others. The big debate is which sporting event in future will overtake this record? Some of the stats are
1) The final #WorldCup game between Ger & Arg alone resulted in 280 million interactions by 88 million people on Facebook. For Facebook, this has become one of the most popular sporting event in its history
2) The final match created a record number of tweets with more than 618,725 tweets per minute(TPM)
3) Fifa’s Instagram account increased from 42,000 followers to nearly 908,753 followers in 31 days. (http://instagram.com/fifaworldcup). #WorldCup #Brasil2014 #Copa2014 #CM2014 #WM2014 are the tags for Fifa world cup
4) “The Fifa #WorldCup has generated more Facebook interactions than the Super Bowl, Oscars & Olympics combined.”. Super Bowl has created a big name for social media interactions in the US
5) More than 2 billion world cup related searches on Google (https://www.google.com/trends/worldcup#/en-gb/)
6) More than 32 million tweets about the #GERvsARG match.