With an increase in global web traffic from mobile devices & also studies showing that mobile visitors are more likely to revisit mobile-friendly sites, mobile usability has now become an imp part of search results. Mobile usability report helps identify issuses affecting your pages. This can be used to fix errors & also their search performance & relevance. Most mobile browsers do not render Flash-based content. Also your pages should specify a viewport using the meta viewport tag
For the mobile friendly websites,
1) The viewing area should adjust to the device screen size
2) Content should flow in viewport
3) Scaling of the fonts
4) Buttons should be well placed & visible
5) Using mobile friendly tech for the mobile website
Six primary mobile usability errors are
1) Flash Usage
2) View Port Not configured
3) Fixed-width viewport
4) Content not sized to viewport
5) Small font size
6) Touch elements too close
Some of the highlights of the Cleartrip’s Q2’14 mobile Highlights are
1) 67% increase in mobile searches. with 43% of the total traffic share is for mobile & 30% of overall transactions on mobile
2) Device breakup – Tablet 8% & mobile 92% in Q2
3) Android driving 39% of the traffic while iOS 15%
4) Amongst the browsers, Chrome, android browser & Safari top the list
5) iOS 7 was the most used iOS version in Q2’14. iOS8 is also catching up with 44% share
6) Mobile played a key role in this increase of conversion.
With higher levels of Smartphone Penetration in India in the recent years, M Governance will play a critical role in connecting the Govt. with the public. Thanks to higher broadband speed, public are able to access internet on the go. Several state govt’s already have apps to which provide a variety of services to public. Several central Govt. departments like Railways, Passport & others have very useful mobile apps.
With millions of mobile phones sold every month, the central Govt. should make it mandatory to have all the smartphones with pre installed Govt. mobile apps. The apps should be accessible across all the mobile platforms like Blackberry, android, windows & others. Also the Govt. apps should be available even on the low speed internet. This would help people in the rural areas where there is problem with high speed internet.
The astounding role of social media in the recent elections has also prompted the state Govt. to connect with the public socially. Social Media & Mobile will help in providing better governance. All the mobile play stores should have a government category with various Central & state Govt. apps.
Indian Railways has launched their official android App on Google Play Store called IRCTC Connect. Users can use their existing login details to login & book tickets, cancel tickets, search & other activities on the app. This is a good move by the Railways as a large number of people have android smartphones & wiil increase the usage of the app. Earlier it was available for Blackberry app store. Going by the screenshots of the app, a right combination of color, navigation has been used in the app.