An earthquake measuring 7.9 has hit Kathmandu & other regions in Nepal & neighboring India. Thousands have been killed in Nepal & people have taken to social media for prayers & messages. Google has setup a 2015 Nepal Earthquake Person finder & Facebook has set up a safety check feature that allows people in Nepal to inform their friends if they are safe. Ministers & officials involved in the disaster team have also been sending messages on twitter, facebook & responding to people’s messages. However, some of the brands also utilized the earthquake to shamelessly promote their brands with messages. This has been criticized by social media & brands later on apologized for the goof up.
Salesforce has released its 2nd annual report on marketing called as 2015 State of marketing. It includes the challenges facing, pressing issues, changes from 2014 to 15 & others.
84% of marketers plan to increase or maintain their spend in 2015. 38% of marketers plan to shift spend from traditional mass advertising to advertising on digital channels. 86% of senior-level marketers say that it’s absolutely critical or very important to create a cohesive customer journey.73% of marketers believe email marketing is core to their business. Social media & mobile are the key areas most would want to focus on.
Can be Downloaded from Salesforce Website
Top business challenges are
1) New busiess devpt
2) Quality of leads
3) Current Mktg trends & tech
The three technologies most critical are
1) Mobile applications (57%)
2) Marketing analytics (54%)
3) CRM tools (54%)
With the increase of social media usage for conversations it is becoming difficult for marketers to understand their audience & target/communicate with them properly. Marketers are getting lost in the world of chaotic internet. The latest campaign from Adobe focusses on this & how their products help market effectively.
Simply Measured has a blog post on the Social Media stats for 2014 Fifa World Cup. The world cup has created a sort of records in terms of shares, interactions, engagement & amplification for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & others. The big debate is which sporting event in future will overtake this record? Some of the stats are
1) The final #WorldCup game between Ger & Arg alone resulted in 280 million interactions by 88 million people on Facebook. For Facebook, this has become one of the most popular sporting event in its history
2) The final match created a record number of tweets with more than 618,725 tweets per minute(TPM)
3) Fifa’s Instagram account increased from 42,000 followers to nearly 908,753 followers in 31 days. (http://instagram.com/fifaworldcup). #WorldCup #Brasil2014 #Copa2014 #CM2014 #WM2014 are the tags for Fifa world cup
4) “The Fifa #WorldCup has generated more Facebook interactions than the Super Bowl, Oscars & Olympics combined.”. Super Bowl has created a big name for social media interactions in the US
5) More than 2 billion world cup related searches on Google (https://www.google.com/trends/worldcup#/en-gb/)
6) More than 32 million tweets about the #GERvsARG match.